Hurry up and wait

If you're someone I talk to regularly or if you follow my Instagram, I would be wildly surprised if you said you don't know that my Maiko's expecting kittens. I make several posts about it on a daily basis and the Pets album is flooded with pics of her displaying her mama belly. :P

While I feel I should be feeling at least some anxiety about the 'very soon' time frame of the impending birth, I'm not. I'm really not. I'm beyond excited and I feel my lack of patience is really making my days torture now -- I want to meet those babies, now!

Pregnancy is exhausting. Bless.

I was in a low, low place when I found out Maiko was pregnant. I don't recall being so low in a good while, but once that diagnosis was made, life just seemed worth it again. I'm not going to lie, either: Maiko is my favourite & I feel absolutely giddy that there's going to be tiny little clawed demons in my household soon enough.

Given all Maiko does now is sleep, eat, sleep, poop, sleep, eat, and then sleep some more, she's getting to be rather hefty and has pinked up (that is, her nipples are large, in charge and extremely pink), it's definitely a 'any day now!' situation. We're at day 56-58 now (there's variables that make the exact day of conception a bit hazy) and a cat's gestation period can range from 58 to 67 days so we may be receiving little bundles of squeak within the next few days (even tonight is a possibility although she's not lactating so I'm not too hopeful) or I might have to eat my nailbeds for another ten-ish days while Maiko brews up her catlings.

I'm doing my best to keep the household as calm and quiet as possible & have pheromone diffusers poofing up the room with all the chillaxing hormones a pregnant queen could ask for, which is also calming Rosa down and while she keeps a close eye on Maiko at all times, she's been able to relax as well because of the cats' natural response to the diffusers.

Science~! Makes life so much easier!

Because Maiko is so sweet and known for her tender nature (well, apart from bringing me a live mouse around mid-pregnancy which was not a pleasant surprise) and undeniably cute, playful and overall adorable, there's been no issues allocating homes for the kittens. I'm hoping to keep one myself, but we'll see. I may be feeling good now but kittens are a lot of work so I may end up allowing them all to be adopted. Once the kittens are weaned, Maiko's due a spaying and should I decide to keep a kitten, they'll follow suit 4-5 weeks after that.

I still need to get a few basic things for the baby clowder: formula, baby bottles, baby socks and rice so I can make little warm pillows with them. These are 'just in case' purchases because despite being an amazing cat, there's always the risk of Maiko not taking an interest in her kittens which is when I'll have to step in. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.


//Edited to add: I visited the fun fair in town really quickly and took a few photos. Boom.

Post a Comment